Shift the defense one way, drop a low screen in the lane and free a shooter coming to the top as the opposition scrambles to cover multiple areas of the floor. MORE
4v4 trap drill to ramp up intensity
Defenders trap on every pass as the offense attempts to find the open player before the drill spreads into a 4-on-4 full-court game with required trapping.
Why use this drill?
Ramp up the intensity with this passing and trapping drill, which turns into a full-court workout.
Setting up this drill is easy
- Spread four offensive (white jersey) players wide from the center circle.
- Four defenders (blue jerseys) cover them.
- You have a ball off to the side and initiate the action.
How to perform this 4v4 drill
- Pass the ball to an offensive player, then exit the court.
- The two closest defenders immediately trap the ball handler. The other two defenders now are the "interceptors" .
- The offense looks to complete five passes without committing a turnover, and without the use of a dribble with limited moving (one step).
- Defenders must trap every pass .
- In this instance, consider the defense stole a pass and scored at its predetermined hoop.
- Now, the offense goes 4-on-4 in the full court trying to score at the opposite end as the defense traps every pass .
Here’s a simple diagram for setting up this drill
Get the technique right to perform this drill effectively
- The first option is a pass to 1 for the jumper but 2 keeps an eye on 4 and 5 rolling to the hoop as one of them could be open as the defense attempts to recover
- 2 and 3 must sell the pass fake. Have 2 make a hard fake with 3 rushing toward the ball with hands in a ready position.