Flood one side of the floor, then seal the other side to set up a dribble drive for an attacking layup or a kick-out pass for a 3-pointer against a 2-3 zone. MORE
‘Voodoo’ Conjures Up 3 Options
The actions aren’t that complicated but produce 3 legitimate scoring options — one of which is a corner 3-pointer while the other two are high-percentage shots near the rim.
WHY USE IT
This essentially is a two-man play as 3 and 5 hang near the perimeter to pull their defenders away from the action. This creates more space near the hoop and makes it easier to score.
1 takes the ball out on the side. 5 and 3 align outside the 3-point line looking at 1 as if they are about to move toward the ball. 4 is on the ball-side block with 2 on the opposite block.
HOW TO PLAY
4 steps into the lane and screens for 2. 2 sprints along the baseline toward the ball-side corner. 1 passes to 2 if open but generally the defense has this well-covered, so 4 seals the defender, catches an inbound pass and makes a 1-on-1 move [diagram 1].
If 4 has a defender on his or her back, 4 comes toward the ball and catches the inbound as 2 moves high. 1 follows the pass [diagram 2].
4 hands off the ball to 1. 1 dribbles and attacks the hoop for a layup [diagram 3].
Those simple first motions in Diagram 1 set up the remaining options. The defenders become worried about 2, which allows 4 to establish low position and catch the inbound pass deep into the set. On the handoff option, it’s important 2 comes high to pull his or her defender away from the hoop.
- 1. Watch the defense cheat toward the corner as it’s expected you are using the inside screen to free a shooter coming in that direction
- 2. 4 has a 1-on-1 situation here with the focus in the corner and on the perimeter — execute a post move and score
- 3. 4 establishes position with a defender behind him or her so 1 has a clear passing lane to get the ball into play
- 4. 2 relocates higher into the set pulling the defender away from the hoop so no one is back to help when 1 attacks off the dribble
- 5. 1 takes the ball from 4 and goes hard at the rim for a power layup while anticipating contact as defenders scramble back