This popular play requires several movements, screens, handoffs and passes to set up a passer outside the arc throwing a leading pass to a player cutting to the hoop. Why use it The constant movement in this play forces the defense to cover a lot of areas and eventually breaks down after multiple screens and... MORE
Slip the screen to beat the defense and score
Why use this play
- Run enough ball screens on the wing and defenders begin knowing your tendencies.
- Have the screener slip the screen and force the defense back on its heels.
- The point guard has the ball on the right wing withanother guard close and a forward moving to the ballside corner.
How to play
- 1 dribbles into the set then passes back to 2 curling behind him or her.
- 4 moves to the ball-side corner .
- 2 then passes to 4.
- 5 moves from the weak-side block and screens for 2 after the pass.
- 2 relocates to the top as 3 shifts to the weak-side wing.
- 1 moves into position to ball screen for 4 .
- 1 executes the ball screen then rolls to the baseline.
- 4 dribbles high and is about to receive a second ball screen form 5, but 5 slips the screen as the defenders jump to the perimeter.
- 4 passes to 5 for the easy layup .
Here’s a simple diagram for setting up this play
How to perfect the technique for this play
- Throw the pass to 5 as soon as 5 slips the screen.
- Neither defender has an opportunity to recover before 5 shoots.
- Now, the next time you run a ball screen on the wing, the defense can’t cheat high.