The initial movement starts right then utilizes ball reversal and a well-timed downscreen to free the shooter coming high at the top. MORE
Dive Then Flash Creates Jumper At Top
The point guard appears simply to be diving toward the hoop after making the entry pass but a subsequent screen from the middle player frees the guard coming back high for a shot
The ball is at the top shaded slightly to the left side. 5 is on the left elbow. 2 is in the opposite corner. 4 and 3 are on the ball-side block.
HOW TO PLAY
4 turns toward the lane and screens for 3. 3 uses the screen to come to the perimeter. 1 passes to 3, then runs off 5’s screen [diagram 1].
After setting the initial screen, 4 establishes position on the block and looks for the ball. 3 makes a post entry to 4. 1 continues running through the lane toward the hoop, then plants and reverses direction to come off another screen from 5. 1 slightly curls toward the left side while coming to the perimeter [diagram 2].
4 fires a pass to 1 as 1 moves back toward the top. 1 takes the open shot as 3 moves toward the corner for spacing purposes [diagram 3].
5 is setting three different screens in this play — make sure 5 knows proper stance for these screens and isn’t moving into the next screen before the current one is complete.
- 1. 3 runs off 4’s right shoulder so 3 has space to receive a pass on the perimeter without the defender getting into the passing lane from 1 to 3
- 2. Run this play enough, or catch 1’s defender not paying attention, and 5’s screen may set up 1 to run all the way to the hoop to catch a lob from 3
- 3. 4 establishes strong post position and takes a big step out to meet the pass — this allows 4 a better sightline to the perimeter
- 4. 1 sells that he or she is running low, then comes hard back toward the perimeter to get free for the shot
- 5. 1 makes a final move slightly to his or her right so 5 can pick off any remaining defenders