This popular play requires several movements, screens, handoffs and passes to set up a passer outside the arc throwing a leading pass to a player cutting to the hoop. Why use it The constant movement in this play forces the defense to cover a lot of areas and eventually breaks down after multiple screens and... MORE
Create a catch and drive opportunity
An initial high screen and cross with another guard leads to the scorer moving low, then coming off a second screen for a catch-and-drive opportunity.
Why use this play
- Use a couple of screens to create space for a talented ball handler.
- All five players begin above the free-throw line with the two guards closer to midcourt with the forwards on the wings and the center in the middle.
How to play
- 2 initially has the ball and starts the action with a pass to 3 on the wing.
- 5 steps high and sets a screen as 2 and 1 cross just in front of the screen.
- This crossing action combined with a screen creates more separation for 1 and 2 .
- 5 steps to the top and 3 passes to 5. 3 and 4 then move low and set downscreens.
- 1 and 2 cross again, this time under thehoop and move to the wings with 1 running off 4’s screen and 2 moving off 3’s screen .
- 5 throws a pass to 2. 2 catches and attacks the middle as 2 should have a step on the defender.
- 3 and 4 clear to the perimeter for spacing .
Here’s a simple diagram for setting up this play
How to perfect the technique for this play
- Ideally, 2 takes the ball to the hoop and scores.
- But, if the drive is taken away, 1 is moving into a shooting window for a potential kickout pass for a 3-pointer.