When a team drops into a 2-3 zone as you are inbounding from the sideline, simply seal the top defenders and create a wide-open 3-point opportunity. MORE
1-4 Low Frees Corner Cutter
As the ball moves around the perimeter and other screens are set, the original ball-side corner runs off a weak-side screen to come free through the lane for an easy scoring opportunity.
WHY USE IT
Running your two inside players in a 1-4 Low look to the perimeter from a baseline out-of-bounds situation spreads the coverage area and the focus of the defense. Additional ball movement on the perimeter allows for a late screen to move a forward into a perfect spot to receive an entry pass near the hoop.
Start in a 1-4 Low. Have your point guard inbound the ball. Place a guard just in front of the ball with your center on the weak-side block. A forward with good hands who has the ability to catch and score is in the near-side corner.
HOW TO PLAY
2 steps into the lane and screens across for 5. 5 cuts diagonally to the perimeter and receives an inbound pass from 1. 2 then pops to the right wing [diagram 1].
5 passes to 2 on the right wing. 1 steps into play and screens for 4 [diagram 2].
4 continues to cut across the set off 1’s screen. After setting the screen, 1 looks to relocate to the perimeter off a downscreen from 5. 2 passes to 4 cutting across the lane for the easy scoring opportunity [diagram 3].
If the defense collapses or doesn’t cover the perimeter as you anticipate, a second option is 1 coming off the 5 downscreen for a potential 3-pointer (or mid-range jumper) on the left side.
- 1. Move both inside players toward the perimeter to pull attention away from the hoop and keep the corner defenders looking toward the top
- 2. After making the initial pass, 1 steps into play to screen for 4 — 4 runs off 1’s left shoulder
- 3. This perimeter pass creates a better post-entry angle for 2 eventually to pass to 4
- 4. 4 continues cutting hard across the lane with ready hands to catch a pass and score quickly before 3’s defender drops to stop the layup
- 5. Don’t forget about 1 popping to the wing off 5’s screen in case 4 is covered on the interior