When a player is struggling offensively, create a mismatch in open space and allow him to drive at the hoop. MORE
‘Viking’ Gets The Post More Involved
Pull the big defender away from the hoop and take advantage of the mismatches this creates with pick-and-roll action after ball reversal.
WHY USE IT
You’re still working with a lack of size, so this play works well to pull larger defenders away from the basket. It also forces the defense to guard multiple off-ball screens and with enough patience leads to high-percentage scoring opportunities. This set also allows for 5 to get the ball in his/her hands more often to keep that player engaged.
1 is dribbling into the front court with 5 on the ball-side post. 3 and 4 on the opposite wing (4 is the “top” player) and 2 on the right wing spaced between the free throw and baseline just as in Zag.
HOW TO PLAY
1 dribbles into the front court as 4 sets a downscreen for 3 [diagram 1].
1 swings the ball to 3. 5 sets a flex screen for 2, who cuts into the lane showing his/her hands. 3 only makes this pass if 2 is wide open. 1 screens down for 5, who curls toward the elbow or cuts to the perimeter [diagram 2].
3 passes to 5. 2 sets a flex screen for 4, who cuts into the lane showing hands. 3 screens down for 2, who curls toward the elbow or cuts to the perimeter. 3 opens for ball reversal. 5 can pass to 2 to continue flex action or to 1 for pick-and-roll action [diagram 3].
The 4-out spacing allows for efficient transition into Zag if the flex motion falls apart, which also catches the defense off-guard in mid-possession.
- 1. 1 dribbles into the action to allow time for 4 to screen down for 3 and to keep 1’s defender occupied
- 2. 2 cuts through the lane and looks for the ball — but this pass only is made if 2 isn’t being guarded by anyone
- 3. 5 comes high pulling his/her defender away from the basket and sets up for ball reversal from 3
- 4. 2 comes high and if 2 catches the pass, the flex action continues as 3 relocates to the lower wing
- 5. 5 passes to 1, then follows with a ball screen and roll toward the hoop ready to catch a pass if 5’s defender is trailing