The ball handler initiates action with a pass, moves to the corner, comes off a screen into the lane and sprints up the middle toward the top off a pair of screens for an open shot. MORE
Fast-paced drill for quality shots
Why use this shooting drill
- Work on shooting, closing out and following your shot in this fast-paced drill designed for players looking for a competitive way to get a lot of quality shots
- When three players want a shooting workout beyond simply tossing uncontested jumpers at the rim, encourage them to use this drill during the offseason.
- 1 starts with a ball outside the lane on the right side.
- 2 starts with a ball under the hoop.
- 3 starts outside the lane on the left side of the floor (no ball).
How to play
- 1 shoots and follows his or her own shot
- On the shot, 2 passes to 3.
- 2 closes out on 3 as 3 prepares to shoot .
- 3 takes the shot and follows it.
- 1 has rebounded his or her own initial shot .
- 3 rebounds his or her own shot.
- 1 passes to 2 and closes out as 2 prepares to shoot .
- All subsequent shots are coming from the left side of the floor.
- Switch to the opposite side when running this drill again.
Here’s a simple diagram for setting up this drill
How to perfect the technique for this shooting drill
- Remind players of this simple process: 1 always passes to 2. 2 always passes to 3. 3 always passes to 1.
- Have players compete as a team to make20 shots in the fastest time or individually with the first player making seven shots winning.
- Either way adds a level of competitiveness to the drill and keeps players focused.