The ball moves quickly around the perimeter and focus is critical as 4 basketballs and 8 players are used in this drill to sharpen long-distance shooting. MORE
Curl, Catch & Shoot From 4 Spots
Shooting is more than a release, it’s about footwork to create a shot and catching the ball
in a proper shooting position to ensure success
Why use this drill
- You want players taking game shots. All four shots in this sequence come off cuts and curls you’d expect players to execute in a game.
- Make a box of cones with a couple on each side of the free-throw-line-extended area, and the other two wide of the lowest block.
- The shooter starts under the hoop. Have two coaches (or teammates) with a ball spaced at the top.
How to play
- The shooter curls hard around one of the low cones and flashes with ready hands to catch a pass from that side’s coach. Catch and shoot the ball .
- The player cuts diagonally across the lane and curls around the opposite-perimeter cone.
- The same coach passes.
- Catch and shoot the ball .
- The shooter now moves low to the same side, curls around that cone and receives a pass
from the same coach as the previous two.
- Finish the drill diagonally cutting across the lane, curl around the final
cone, catch a pass from the other coach and shoot again .
Here’s a simple diagram for setting up this drill:
How to perfect the technique for this play
- Your choice: have players take one-dribble pull-ups instead of catch-and-shoot 3-pointers.