When a player is struggling offensively, create a mismatch in open space and allow him to drive at the hoop. MORE
Open the corner for an uncontested shot
Draw the opposite-corner defender into the lane with a dribble drive, then have a curling wing player screen that defender to allow for an uncontested shot.
Why use this play
- Duke makes 3-point shooting look easy because of the movements used to create open shots. Here, the opposite corner becomes wide open after an inside screen on a help defender.
- The point guard is dribbling on the left side of the court with a post at the ball-side elbow.
- Your shooter is in the opposite corner.
How to play
- 5 comes high and sets a ball screen for 1.
- 1 uses the screen to dribble free toward the middle of the lane.
- 3 breaks from the left wing to the right block as the ball screen is being set .
- The drive by 1 pulls 4’s defender into the lane where 3 screens him or her. 1 passes to 4 who is open in the corner .
- 4 takes the shot as the defense is late to recover.
- 3 and 5 are in solid rebounding position as 2 circles back to defend if the shot is missed .
Here’s a simple diagram for setting up this play
How to perfect the technique for this play
- 3 needs to be in position near the right block as 1 drives, so 3 doesn’t try to set the screen too late.
- Once 1 drives, defensive attention comes back to the middle from the left side of the floor, making it easier to guard 4 if 3 doesn’t set the screen.